chocolate + paper + scissors

10.06.2014

Who are you, anyway?

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.  - Aristotle

Do you ever wonder why you feel the way you do sometimes?  Do you feel energized after attending an event with a lot of people?  Or, do you want to head home and decompress?  It's pretty simple - we are all hard-wired with certain personalities.  We were delicately designed by our Creator - and we have each been given certain traits that help us navigate through this world - and through our lives.


Knowing our general personalities and our tendencies can help us feel a little more comfortable on our life journeys.  During our pre-marital counseling 14 years ago, my husband and I were asked to complete an extensive personality profile, the Meyers-Briggs profile.  And in the last six months, I've been craving to get back to some self-reflection and self awareness, so listening to Elisa Pulliam in an interview about overcoming comparison in motherhood - and knowing and embracing ourselves - was the nudge I needed to get to know myself again.

We need to be comfortable with who we are.  

After taking the DISC inventory multiple times this summer, I realized that I am consistent:  I am an INFJ.  And I'm much more "I" than I used to be...





This explains why being in large groups of people drains me.  Small talk is not something I'm good at, so I've been pulling back on that, which sometimes makes me feel like I'm being unfriendly or anti-social.  But, I know that I'm not - I'm just trying to save my energy and be more genuine.  Because I've been reacquainting myself with who I really am, I'm much more comfortable and nicer to myself.  And I know that restoring my energy through being in solitude is totally imperative to my well-being, as a woman, a friend, a wife and a mama.

On this journey to find your passion, do you know who you are?

One thing today:   Take an online personality inventory to see where you are.  Then, re-take it in a few days to see if you're consistent.  
Good stuff:
Elisa Pulliam, Life Coach - She is a lovely, graceful individual.  Visit her personality profile page to take some online inventories and learn more about her other assessments.
MBTI(R) Type Heads
Interview with Elisa Pulliam on overcoming comparison in Motherhood
Understanding your personality, a blog post by Mandi Ehman
Personality + profile pins by Megan Tietz
35 quotes for introverts


No comments:

Post a Comment