chocolate + paper + scissors

10.07.2014

The Battle of the Birds (part 1)

Are you an early bird or a night owl?

At our house, I'm definitely on the early bird team.  I've been a morning person for as long as I can remember.  Having children has only intensified my love for quiet mornings  This topic is close to my heart, as I've written about it previously - four years ago, during a very different season of life.   There is nothing more valuable than quality personal time when you're at your best, while all little people are sleeping...

So this is why I wake up at 5 a.m. every day.  I once heard another writer say (and I can't remember who they were quoting) that we have to take the hours of the day that no one else wants.  And thankfully, for my family, the early morning hours are all mine. But, there is definitely a tradeoff - because at 9 p.m., I begin to fade.  And I have set my own rule that no serious, heavy, in-depth conversations are allowed after 9 p.m. because I lose my clarity, perspective and brain power, and I end up talking in circles.  (It's an entertaining show for night owls in our house!)

Because I'm a writer, I have to be at my best in order to think clearly, explain and elaborate on ideas.  The morning happens to be the best time for all of this.  And although I gave up coffee for a few years during pregnancy and breastfeeding, I'm happy to report that one cup of amazing, hot coffee is part of my morning routine.  It really jump-starts my morning, people!

(A total aside: last year, when my brother-in-law mentioned he was having a hard time getting ready in mornings and felt a little scatterbrained, my suggestion was he start drinking coffee.  Everyone at the table thought I was crazy.  But at least I was honest!  I'm a huge coffee advocate.  Huge!)

  
Print from Sevenly, a lovely free gift...


One thing today:  If you have been wanting to get up earlier and needed a push, get up just a few minutes early tomorrow and see if it doesn't improve your day.  Try to get to bed a little earlier tonight. And, if you need something to do while waking up early, download an audio version of Laura Vanderkam's book, What The Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast and go for a morning walk or run.
Good Stuff:
What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast by Laura Vanderkam
Sevenly

No comments:

Post a Comment