chocolate + paper + scissors

10.21.2014

Honoring our King of Creativity

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. ~Romans 12:2 (ESV)

God is our Creator.  And we are His creations.  He created us to live out His great plans.  We know that He loves us, as children of the Most High King.  He creates new days each morning for us.  And His creative spirit lives in us.



Each night, we lay at the foot of our children's beds with them as they drift off to sleep.  This is a tradition (some would say "habit"!) we started when they were little tiny bitties.  And now, at 9 and 6, my husband and I still take turns switching each night.  It's a special time of night - I love it!  But most nights, if I don't concentrate to keep myself awake, I'm asleep within minutes.

One night, when I was laying at the foot of Sweet Boy's bed, all was quiet.  As I kept trying to focus on the quiet (without falling asleep!), I felt brushed by the Spirit, and I was reminded, simply:  if God is ultimately creative, we are, too!  This moment sparked one of my favorite meditations that I play through my head at bedtime to stay awake and to be inspired:
 
God is beautifully creative.  God's Spirit lives in me.  I am beautifully creative.

Or, in the form of a math statement:  
If God = beautiful creativity and God lives in you, then you = beautiful creativity.
(From yesterday:) Creativity = new life.
Therefore...creativity is super important!

There are so many spiritual elements of creativity, which is why I think I'm so attracted to it.  God wants us to be close to Him and to experience the creative energy that He has given to us!  Sometimes, though, in an information-driven world, we need to remind ourselves that we are, in fact, creative beings.  We do have lovely ideas that no one else has thought of.  There may be millions of Pinterest pins, blog posts, and other ideas floating around out there, but there is only one of you - and God speaks to you and inspires you differently than anyone else.  Your creative ideas are so very important to this world!

Taking time to be creative is important - as is acknowledging any creative efforts in my day that I may not have perceived as "creative."  Taking time to be creative is taking time to be with God.  All good things come from him - as well as all good ideas.  Taking time to be creative fills up our cup.


God is beautifully creative.  God lives in you.  You are beautifully creative!

One thing today:  Unplug from your productive pace today for a few minutes and ask for God's guidance in your day.  He wants to help you and wants you to be creative!  Have your pen and paper ready to write down any ideas.  Then, set a little bit of time aside this week (or weekend) to do something different + creative.

Amazing inspiration:
A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman
...And, a good, hot, strong cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment