chocolate + paper + scissors

5.17.2011

The Simple-but-Perfect Pancake, Edited.

For the last week, I have been under the weather. And when I have a cold, the only thing I want to eat is breakfast foods all the time. They represent comfort. And as for anything with eggs, the spiciest salsas can be added to help me, well, breathe! (Bless you, cayenne pepper and Tabasco.) Last night, at a dinner for my daughter's end-of-season t-ball party, I ordered migas and hashbrowns for dinner. And they hit the spot! Sure wish I had those right now.

Lately, my daughter has been on a pancake jag, too - and requests them every day. Although I try to save pancakes and homemade chocolate milk for our Saturday morning ritual, I have been known to make some extra flapjacks and freeze them, since she loves them. This morning, unfortunately, I came up short. So, a bread and butter sandwich was our less-than-fun substitute.

I'd like to share an old post about "The Simple but Perfect Pancake," based on a recipe from King Arthur Flour. And, this past Saturday, I noticed that I've changed my version up a bit, so I think I'll share this, too.

Our Recent Saturday Morning Simple-but-Perfect Pancake:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups 2% milk
  • 3 tablespoons Canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 cup malted milk powder
  • Frozen blueberries or chocolate chips to drop onto the poured pancakes (while on griddle)
Feel free to review the cooking directions if you need a refresher on making good pancakes. Mixing all of the wet and dry ingredients separately, then combining them at the end, is an easy way to start things.

King Arthur always teaches me a thing or two on how to be a better baker. In my opinion, they are the masters at baking! (I have a real crush on that King Arthur...)

As for making "homemade" chocolate milk, here's what makes a good, rich cup of chocolate milk at our house:

8 ounces of cold milk
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of organic cane sugar

Blend in a blender until thick and creamy. Guaranteed to make little ones and daddies smile.

May be a good night for pancakes + chocolate milk for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment