chocolate + paper + scissors

10.23.2010

Weekend (or Anytime) Breakfast Casserole

This morning I woke up with an extra spring in my step, as I got 11 hours of sleep last night! After reading to our daughter last night, I stayed with her for a moment after lights-out...then woke up two hours later in the same position, glasses still on (has this ever happened to you?). So, I picked myself up and crawled into my bed...and awoke at 7:30 this morning, craving a good, hearty breakfast!

We are a family that often eats breakfast for dinner - it's easy, sometimes lighter (but not always), and pretty inexpensive: all good things. I made this Crescent Roll Breakfast Casserole from Girlfriends on the Go! A Busy Mom's Guide to Make-Ahead Meals a few Sundays ago for dinner, and it was such good comfort food. It was really delicious - and very filling. Since there were obvious ingredients that could be lightened, though, my health conscience and I decided to lighten things up a tiny bit this time.




The beauty of this simple recipe is that you could also add a ton of veggies (spinach, kale, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.), and it would make it even tastier, colorful and healthy. My five year-old daughter has been experiencing some general picky-ness about several things as well as some If-This-Has-Vegetables-In-it-I-Won't Eat-It Syndrome lately, so I reluctantly left out the red bell pepper. After all that, she still wouldn't eat much, so, lesson learned: always keep the veggies in, people! (She gobbled it up last time, truth be told. And our son has loved every bit of it, too.)

This easy recipe will be a favorite for years to come! Thanks to Suzie Roberts for creating and sharing this recipe. I hope you enjoy it and that your weekend is just as yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment