chocolate + paper + scissors

4.16.2010

Getting back on track with good food.

This week, I’d like to share a few things for which I am grateful:

1. Our kitchen renovation is finished! (Photos coming soon!)
2. I’m more caught up on my rest. (The power of good sleep is amazing.)
3. Order is beginning to reign again in our house, including the kitchen and my workspace.
4. Healthy and relaxing meals are returning to our table.
5. Our heavenly aromatic jasmine is blooming in our backyard (which we thought we lost after the crazy Texas freezes).
6. Our roses are in full bloom, which have been gracing us with their presence in bud vases all around our home.
7. Colds and ear infections are gone!
8. My new favorite show comes on tonight. Yippee!
9. Classical music. Norwegian trumpeters rock!
10. I’m sitting here writing this.

In honor of an informal celebration of rest, comfort and home, I have the perfect recipe that my family has recently loved: Wayne’s Beef Macaroni and Cheese.

You may be thinking that this Paula recipe doesn’t sound too heart healthy (as many of Paula’s recipes are not), but this is actually a delightfully balanced meal. It’s the perfect combination of beef, tomato sauce, macaroni, grated cheese and vegetables. Pair it with some extra veggies or salad on the side, and/or some fresh fruit, and it’s a lovely family dinner.

My only modification: add one zucchini and substitute one red bell pepper for one of the green bell peppers. If you’d like to cut out some of the animal protein, I bet that mixing together 16 ounces of kidney beans with one pound of ground beef would be nice, too. (I’ll have to try that next time!)

I hope you enjoy…and that this recipe becomes part of your family favorites. Looking forward to sharing more!


No comments:

Post a Comment